Springy
Spring officially began on Tuesday, and it was another sunny September the 1st:
I mention this because I noticed earlier in the week when browsing through my photos that a previous couple of September the 1st’s have also been sunny days. The long term forecast for our spring is “windier than usual”. I am inclined to believe this as the long term forecast for winter was “drier than usual”, and for us I think it has been. When they say windier, they don’t mean a nice gentle breeze. More like blow your hat off even with chin straps in use, or as it as known in this household, Piglet Ears weather. Hopefully the wind will hold off for a while as the damson tree is just starting to blossom.
We finished watching the latest series of Ridley on Monday evening, a gentle crime drama without being cosy. I have cut the grass again this week, done some weeding in the CBD, and trimmed some of the flaxes. I don’t think it will be long before the grass will need cutting more frequently. On Wednesday evening we came 6th at the quiz with 92 points.
Nicky is making good progress with Audrey’s quillow, in-between her usual weekly commitments. While she staffed the Aramoho Library on Thursday she met the new Whanagnui Libraries Manager, Rachel Hadfield. While at the library Rachel fixed a couple of technical issues for Nicky, for which she was grateful.
On Saturday there was a 4.9 quake at 6.34am which we felt while still in bed. I had an amble into town by the river and coffee at Article, and in the afternoon Frances dropped in for coffee and a chat. With the exception of Mike, the quiz team gathered at Mel and Mario’s in Gonville for a games evening. There were lots of nibbles to choose from. We took a lovely banana bread that Nicky had made and a tuna dip which I had put together. John did a very good quiz for us all themed on the names of the quiz members. We played Pictionary afterwards and had some very difficult words to draw which generated much hilarity.
We are noticing that the weather is getting milder, and the daylight hours longer. While there was snow in Dunedin on Monday, here warmer weather does seem to be getting closer. There are now numerous trees in blossom.
Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments