Mr Darcy I presume
2026, another New Year, is upon us, as are the jokes about things which haven’t been done since last year. We celebrated the first day of the New Year and our 5th anniversary of moving to Whanganui with a shared lunch. We invited neighbours and Charlotte’s Dummies quiz team, many of whom had other commitments. However, the eight adults (including ourselves) and three children enjoyed our time together. Mike was the last to arrive and stayed and watched The Chase with us.
Until today, the weather has not been very summery. Having had most of the previous week in Auckland there was still much to do after Nicky had accomplished the laundry marathon on Sunday before and after church. My activity was limited by back pain. This has gradually improved through the week, but then in the small hours of Friday morning I twisted my right knee getting back into bed. If it isn’t one thing…
I have cut the back garden grass twice, the berm once, and done my routine cleaning jobs. Nicky has spent time in the garden when she could, in-between the showers. On Monday she cleaned the church vestry with Dale, and then went shopping. The PJ’s which I had given her for Christmas were exchanged for a pair of the same design two sizes smaller. She still needed to alter them for length, so they now have deep cuffs. Even though they had been significantly reduced when I bought them, they were even cheaper. With a credit note for the difference Nicky had a long browse round the shop and found some good quality grey hand towels to add to our collection.
With the weather being regularly inclement, we started the World of Jane Austin jigsaw which I gave Nicky for her birthday. It took us three days to complete the 1000 piece puzzle but we really enjoyed it, identifying the fictional characters and their homes. Each weekday evening we have watched the Celebrity Bake Off (I think it was 2023 series) and enjoyed both the programmes and the regular viewing. We have also enjoyed phone calls with Felicity and Gill & Dave.
Every six months or so I photograph the garden to record the changes that pass us by when looking at it on a day-to-day basis. Since July last year everything seems to have really grown:
Today we have been to the first of three January Shared Lunches organised by Whanganui Anglicans’. The venue today was in the sticks near Upokongaro. Around 30 people attended and it was very pleasant sitting under the shade of a tree in the back garden. Five years ago I found these events quite challenging with not knowing anybody. Now I know a good number of the parishioners, and even more seem to know me. Next week we are hosting the shared lunch, so my typing may be even worse than usual.
Take care, Rick and Nicky.


Comments