It’s a sign
We have a new road sign. It’s actually on the berm in front of next door, but I think of the three sections as being together so can use the term “we”. It’s a variable speed limit sign for the school (currently on holiday) so I’m assuming it will light up with a reduced speed limit at the beginning and end of the school days. We await with anticipation.
The football World Cup has again dominated the beginning of all days but one this week. The Round of 16 was completed and the Quarter Finals played. Monday saw a brilliant match with Norway beating Brazil. Afterwards Nicky went off to church cleaning and I made fruit bread. We were joined for the afternoon match between England and Mexico by Frances, Mike and John. It was a tense and exciting, and we were all relieved that England won. Belgium-USA was Tuesday’s best game (and not just because Belgium won), and the end of the Egypt-Argentina match early on Wednesday morning was compelling. The game had 20 minutes to go by the time I got up, and I thought we were seeing another major upset, but Argentina scored three times in the 15 minutes.
Nicky saw some of this before returning to bed. She had her morning Decibelles Book Club and hospital visiting on Wednesday afternoon. Between us we did the ironing while Switzerland beat Columbia. The trap had caught another rat which I buried. Nicky watched some of the football from my chair and enjoyed the view, so I swapped our chairs over so we both have new “spots”. I made some lemon curd in the afternoon and we came 11th at the quiz with 86 points. This put us in the money, as 10th, 11th and 12th all get some as there are so many teams (26 this week I think).
There was no footy on Thursday and I was going to do some washing but the sky looked ominous so I didn’t. I got the bus over to Gonville for a Tea and Topics session about U3A, which was interesting. The wind was bitter at the bus shelter which didn’t provide much protection. Nicky staffed the Aramoho Library and we did the crossword when she got home. In the evening she attended a very good talk on the poetry book Salt Quilt launch. Nicky took to opportunity to travel both ways by bus, as the optician at her recent eye test advised that she should no longer drive at night.
Friday was the Matariki public holiday. We didn’t see the star constellation due to the cloud cover, but it was good to have a day off. France beat Morocco. We got the laundry done, and ended the day with fish and chips and Harry Potter film one.
Saturday started cold and misty, but the sun burnt off the mist while Spain beat Belgium. Afterwards I caught a bus to the Aramoho Shopping centre and walked into town, resuming my Saturday routine which the FIFA World Cup has interrupted. The morning was sunny and crisp, and my walk by the river very enjoyable. I bought a baguette to go with the soup for tea today before catching a bus home. I finished reading the first book in the DS Cross detective series by Tim Sullivan. DS Cross has Asperger’s syndrome which gives the stories a bit of a different perspective. We watched the second Harry Potter film in the evening.
Today has been another lovely crisp, sunny winter’s day, with just a little breeze. Nicky missed church, again because of the football. Frances, John and Danny joined us to watch England beat Norway 2-1 in extra time. She had made a fantastic range of muffins with were throughly enjoyed. Everybody departed then a little later Frances came back and watched the Argentina - Switzerland match with us. Shortly after Frances left, Sheryl and Doug arrived, as we had invited them for tea the last time we had seen them at the community meal. Nicky produced French onion soup which we followed with some of the raspberry muffins and a pot of tea. It was good to see them again and much easier to chat in the quiet of our own home. We are now sitting down with another pot of tea and the third Harry Potter film.
Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments