Major new food group

 Nicky has invented a new custard. It’s called lemon curd. This came about because Frances (Mrs. Egg) gave us some end-of-season apples from her tree which I had stewed last Saturday. On Tuesday I used some of them to make an apple and Wensleydale pie, which even when served with custard was a bit boring. The apples had little flavour. I had made some lemon curd on Monday and Nicky suggested using it on the apple pie - Bingo! Absolutely transformed it.


Our week has been dominated by the FIFA World Cup. I had picked the games that I wanted to watch, but we have ended up watching nearly all of them, and as a result encountering a gem or two, particularly the Austria-Jordan match. Frances (Mrs. Egg) joined us on Tuesday to watch the All Whites (NZ) match. Nicky watched too, so missed out on Home Group. On Thursday John and Mike came over to watch the England game. Afterwards John went off to work, Nicky went to staff the Aramoho Library (which has been cleaned and refurbished!!!). Mike stayed and had lunch and watched the afternoon games.


The weather has been a bit variable, cooler and with some rain, so staying inside to watch the footy hasn’t been arduous. There was no Wednesday evening quiz this week, but we both went into town on Friday. Nicky had her 6 monthly eye test at Specsavers and was sorry to be advised to stop driving after dark. I did a wee supermarket shop. We also finished watching a British drama, Under Salt Marsh, but were not impressed. The diction was very poor. Last night we started on Dear England, the story of Gareth Southgate’s management of the England football team. Engaging so far, and very appropriate with the on-going FIFA World Cup.


When the weather has been suitable (Friday was lovely) we have been drying the laundry outside, and I have been enjoying seeing the water droplets on the renga renga lilies in the south-west corner of the garden:




Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short List

Weeds and lurgy

Fair enough