A tinkle in the garden
We have had another eventful week (I think it’s the time of year). At the beginning of the week I was still getting over the after effects of collapsing in the small hours of Saturday morning. I was low on energy and getting tired very quickly. By Wednesday things really improved and I am now back to being my usual self.
After three visits from Shane the Sparky (one with his daughter and another with his Dad), our first water feature is up and running. Shane completed the wiring connection, laid the conduit and cable, and installed the distribution box and timer. It looks great nestled into the flax:
On Wednesday I was able to start back-filling the trenches and finished this yesterday. The grass looks quite untidy where the trenches are and where I had various piles of soil, but I’m sure that nature will sort this out in the next few weeks.
We had a lovely chat with Claire on her birthday and really enjoyed the photos she sent of the decorations on her desk. Her colleagues added to them each time she left it. The cake, primarily chocolate, was very good apparently.
Eleanor and Jack, who live just down the road, invited us for a pre-birthday morning cuppa as they were not able to make Nicky’s afternoon tea and cake celebration. We sat in the warm shade in the their back garden before returning home so that Nicky could get ready to staff the Aramoho Library.
On Nicky’s birthday we had the usual flurry of WhatsApp messages, emails and phone calls first thing. After getting organised we drove to Sansom to the Woolshed Café. We planned to have lunch there, but before that do a tour of their historic houses. They currently have seven which span from 1860 to 1960. The houses have been brought to site, restored and suitably furnished to illustrate how homes have developed here. The audio commentary provided interesting insights to the design and use of the houses. It was a fascinating and very enjoyable experience which we can highly recommend. We also enjoyed our lunch: cheese burger for me, chicken and plum sauce salad for Nicky. They were unpretentious and tasty.
Shortly after we got home our first afternoon visitor (Josie) arrived. She was soon followed by Dale, Bob, Denise and Doug. Flowers were put in vases, cake was consumed and conversation ensued.
After they departed we had time for some smoked salmon and Philly cheese on toasted bagels before Frances (Mrs. Egg) and Liam (next door) arrived. More cake and conversation. This was the first time Liam had visited us, or we had a good sit down chat, so it was good to get to know him a little.
When finally the house was peaceful, we opened a bottle of dessert wine and enjoyed the cool evening air flowing through the house. It was a lovely day.
But wait, there’s more! The church organise an advent calendar of events every year; something is on every day. Nicky, and sometimes both of us, attend some of these. On Monday Nicky went to pre-dinner drinks at Clive and Jo-Anne’s. Jo-Anne is Josie’s daughter. I didn’t go with not feeling great, but I did join Nicky for a similar event at Dale and Bob’s on Thursday. We collected Laurie on the way.
On Tuesday Nicky had a shared lunch with her Home Group, and then another shared lunch on Wednesday with her book club. Both with Secret Santa gift exchange. She followed this with her hospital visiting duty and popped in for a blood test whist there.
Nicky woke on Thursday morning with her left leg feeling quite different from her right leg. Being concerned the cellulitis that she had some years ago could be flaring up again, she saw a Nurse Practitioner at the Medical Centre after finishing at the library. The nurse didn’t think that the cellulitis was the issue, but diagnosed a mild ankle strain.
On Saturday evening Nicky went to Alt. Carols at Christ Church, the first time she has been able to attend. It lived up to expectations with excellent acting, dancing and music. She thoroughly enjoyed it. I think she will be going again next year.
This morning Nicky collected Josie and Dale on their way to St. Paul’s in Putiki. The was no 10am service at Christ Church because of the church being setup for two more performances of Alt. Carols today. Nicky made muffins to take as St. Paul’s do an extensive morning tea after the service. I had my first amble in ages this morning and then did the ironing. After lunch Nicky went into the garden to weed and plant, and I made ginger biscuit Christmas trees for gifting to the people who deliver to us and collect from us (eg: refuse). I plan to make some pies next week. Nicky is making omelettes for tea which should fortify us for what is looking like another busy week ahead.
Take care, Rick and Nicky.



Comments