Duck!

 Most days this week have started cool with quite a bit of cloud, but fairly quickly turned to clear skies with hot sunshine. This has enabled us to spend a good amount of time in the garden. Nicky has continued with her seedling planting marathon. These are mainly edibles with some companion plants. I have started digging the trench for the power supply to the water feature:



It needs to be a spade width wide and 600mm deep. It’s physically challenging for my back and knees, and I can only really work in the cooler parts of the day. Wednesday was our only day with some rain showers, so I dug in-between the showers as it was cooler.


Nicky had another physio appointment this week, on Tuesday after hosting Home Group. Her thigh muscles are starting to improve with the exercises she is doing. On Wednesday evening we came equal third at the quiz having scored 86 points. We had the closest answer to the tie-breaker question so won the money! We are planning to use our winnings in the usual way, with a Team Dinner probably in the New Year.


At lunchtime on Tuesday I saw a duck with her brood wandering down our drive. They ignored the path down to the back garden and jumped off the end of the drive to the flat area by the shed:



This morning when I went down to the washing line I found three ducklings in the trench I’m digging. They were unable to get out so I got them into an ice cream box and set them free in the paddock behind us where we have seen a drake and duck with their brood earlier in the week:



Mike took us out for dinner on Friday, to Vietnam Kitchen in town. We had a lovely meal (we will go again) and Mike came back home with us for some hands of Rummy-O and a couple of games of Cluedo. It was a good way to end the “working” week. Mike won nearly every game.


Yesterday Nicky went down to Wellington with a number of other ladies in the church minibus for an ordination service at the cathedral. The day wasn’t as enjoyable as when she had done this previously as they didn’t leave Whanganui until around 10.25am. They didn’t arrive in time to get good seats and sitting in second to furthest row back with tall menfolk in front, meant all the shorties weren’t able to see, much to their disappointment.


I took the opportunity to have some time in town, doing some Christmas shopping and enjoying a coffee and croissant in Article Cafe. On my wanderings I encountered a Free Gaza protest which I can only describe as very bijou Whanganui:



It was at one of the main intersections in the historical quarter of town with a few Palestinian supporters on three corners and some Isreal supporters on the fourth. The Palestinian supporters had composed some short ditties to sing through their megaphone, but the whole thing had an air of “protest without being a nuisance”. 


In the afternoon I had my first free ride on the PS Waimarie since retiring. It was an interesting experience as it was quite difficult to switch into passenger mode. When the boat started its journey upstream I felt compelled to do the walk-round of the boat that I used to do at that point to check that everything was as it should be. I also explained to some passengers the correct use of the ladders to move between the upper deck and lower deck. Old habits die hard, but I enjoyed the trip. I don’t miss working on the boat, but I do miss going up and down the river a little.


Before going to church this morning while I was out having an amble, Nicky finally finished the jigsaw that we started last month:



With the way the weather has been this week, and hearing my first cicada of the season on Friday, it feels like summer is on the way.


Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short List

Weeds and lurgy

Fair enough