Is this a cloud I see before me?

 The MetService have lost the plot this week, with each day’s forecast  proving to being a work of fiction. We have been using the much more accurate (but shorter term) technique for weather prediction: looking out of the window.


Nicky started her week in the usual fashion with cleaning at church with Dale, though I think more nattering occurred than cleaning. Due to the school holidays there was no Home Group, but a number of the ladies including Nicky went to the cinema to see Downton Abbey: the grand finale. It was thoroughly enjoyed, again. She had a good session with Dr Rose on Thursday before staffing the Aramoho Library, and enjoyed the Fashion Talk at the Whanganui Museum on Friday lunchtime. This time an 1880’s wedding ensemble worn during the marriage of local farmers at the Episcopalian Matarawa church. A forerunner to the current St John’s. It was sewn in self striped cream silk, with a brushed cotton lining to the jacket, and a cotton muslin lining and pocket to the skirt. The rest of Nicky’s time has been filled with sewing, laundry, ironing, reading, and looking after me.


I got quite a bit of weeding done in the early part of the week, and did my first of the month cleaning tasks on Wednesday. I also managed to loose all the contacts on my computer. A very helpful chat with Apple for 45 minutes recovered them. On Thursday morning I had my second shingles vaccination. After suffering from side effects for 8 days after the first one, the nurse wasn’t able to predict if I would fare any better this time. Thursday evening was when the aching and the fever began. Friday required regular doses of paracetamol. By yesterday I was much improved and feel almost back to normal today. The only lingering effect is tiredness. I did have a gentle amble down to the benches on the corner of the river on Friday and the water was looking very calm:



I have enjoyed watching the Waimarie paddle by our home this weekend, but don’t feel any desire to be part of the crew again. 


We quizzed on Wednesday with a fuller team than last week and came 3rd with 90 points. Very pleased to be in the money again. The Community Kai at the marae wasn’t very busy this month so it was much easier to have conversations. Nicky took rice pudding (lovely) and I took spud and lentil curry (OK).


We did a jigsaw yesterday of Australia and completed it with it only being 500 pieces. In the evening we started watching Season 3 of The Twelve. Nicky had made us scrambled eggs and tomatoes with bacon on toast for dinner, which was just lovely.


After church today Nicky ironed and sewed. She is making place mats as a wedding gift, but learned today that the wedding has been postponed. When the rain stopped and the sun returned I did the trenching and cut the berm. Nicky is planning pancakes for dinner and there are date and orange scones left from yesterday for afternoon tea. I’m a lucky lad.


Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short List

Weeds and lurgy

Fair enough