Fun with Pharaohs

 In the late 1960’s when I was in my last years at Primary School and my sister was in her first years at Secondary School, the Apollo space programme was in full swing. My sister and I would watch everything we could on TV that related to the quest to put a man on the moon, and would plead with our parents to allow us to watch launches and other significant events in the middle of the night, not always successfully. In my perception two men stand out from that time as household names: Neil Armstrong and Jim Lovell. Neil Armstrong died in 2012, and Jim Lovell just over a week ago. 


It seemed appropriate to me that the next film in the sequence for Nicky and my Friday Night Film viewing was Ron Howard’s “Apollo 13”. As Gene Kranz said, “possibly NASA’s finest hour.” When we see news reports of the dwindling number of veterans from wars of the last century, I am reminded that there won’t be many people who worked on the Apollo programme still living. Such a significant event in my life is slipping firmly into history as the participants depart this life.


On a completely different note, another event, only really significant to myself and to Nicky to a degree, is happening in my life at the moment. About seven years ago I seemed to develop an intolerance to lactose. Changing the type of milk I consume, a suggestion by Nicky’s sister Stella, really helped. My favoured product became A2 Light, as it was the only lactose free semi-skimmed milk that I could find. The others were either full fat (we don’t like the taste of that in our tea) or skimmed (which is basically just opaque water). From time to time supply has been erratic so I have stocked oat milk as an alternative for making porridge and sauces. Last week the supermarket was out of stock, and when Nicky went to Customer Services to investigate they could find no trace of any on order. We did a little internet research and discovered the company who made it had ceased production for financial reasons, though they may start production again in the future. When I first went to my GP about the issue he said that I had probably stopped producing the lactase enzyme. He told me I may start making again in a few days, or weeks, or months, or years, or never. All I could do was to try lactose-containing products and note any effect. With not being able to buy the A2 Light anymore I decided to try going back to normal semi-skimmed milk gradually. So far the results are positive, so may be I’m making lactase and we can buy normal milk again. A less expensive option.


My primary task this week has been shed security. I bought a new line trimmer on Tuesday, one which I hope will be much more appropriate for the task. The Stanley ones proved not to be suitable with having been through 5 or 6 of them in the last 3-4 years (all but one, warranty replacements). A floor to roof stud in the shed enables me to secure the line trimmer with chains and padlocks. A heavier duty pad bolt and padlock are now on the door. Hopefully these will provide greater security and act as a deterrent to any future thief. I plan to start storing the rechargeable batteries in the shed at some point when I have got suitable secure storage boxes.


Nicky’s week began with her usual Sunday Service at Christ Church. She went in early to accomplish the vestry cleaning at Christ Church, as the funeral of one of her fellow parishioners was held at 10am on Monday morning. Liz had invited us to her 75th birthday celebration in October 2021. She was a very lively and active lady. Tuesday evening was Nicky’s third to last vestry meeting which went well and wasn’t as challenging as some of the more recent ones. On Wednesday morning Nicky’s book group, Decibelles, met at our place to discuss “The Elephant Whisperer” by Lawrence Anthony. They are a sharp bunch had had a good discussion. I tried to distract them by clearing up in the kitchen (Nicky had made scones) but it didn’t work. They chatted on animatedly. Nicky has selected “Wifedom” by Anna Funder, about Eileen, George Orwell’s wife, for this coming month’s read. Nicky had her parish hospital visiting in the afternoon. She had a blood test while she was there in preparedness for her Friday Zolendrate infusion, and an influenza recall vaccination on the way home. We quizzed in the evening and came 7th with 84 points. The Aramoho Library was quiet on Thursday.


Friday was the 6th anniversary of first time we saw the section where we now live. Nicky had her Zolendrate infusion at the Aramoho Medical Centre in the morning. This is to help prevent osteoporosis. She weeded in the afternoon and in the evening had a chat with her sister Felicity and we wished her happy birthday.


Nicky ironed on Saturday morning before making gingerbread muffins for the evening and a beef mince casserole for our dinner. Eleanor and Jack called in for a half hour chat. Danny, Mel, John and Mike from Charlotte’s Dummies quiz team (and John’s dog Nui), came over for the evening. Nicky had prepared a 20 question general knowledge quiz which was a great way to start. John had brought an Egyptian Pyramid board game from the 1960’s or 70’s with him which was really good fun. There were numerous hazards and traps to get through (imagine Indiana Jones and snake pits). It all depended on the luck of the dice and no skill was involved. We had a swift game of Triominos to end the evening which was interesting with six people. The games were accompanied with a grazing supper of crisps, dips, muffins (Mel brought lemon ones) pumpkin flan and nuts, and we all had a very enjoyable time. John had to bring Nui in from the car, as he was getting lonely, which was interesting. Nui didn’t bark or jump, but he is bigger than a Labrador and even though I like dogs, it felt strange having Nui in the lounge with us.


Today has been moist, but the rest of the week has been clear skies, so cold nights and sunny days. We had some gorgeous colour in the sky yesterday evening which was reflected in the river:



I had an amble this morning and Nicky went to church, but we have spent the rest of the day indoors avoiding the dull wetness outside.


Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short List

Fair enough

Tidying