Three of Three
Not only was last Monday the King’s Official birthday and a public holiday, but it was also my third significant Monday of the year. I turned 65 and finally became a grown-up. As you may recall from last week Dear Reader, Claire came up and stayed with us, to partake in the celebrations.
We started the day with croissants for breakfast. Some of us stuffed them with scrambled eggs and bacon, some of us selected from the vast array of preserves available and went for one of the home made curds (orange or lemon). This was followed by present and card opening. I had forgotten (must be an age thing) that Nicky had bought me a purple Merino wool top, but the nubile Surf Girl print from Studio 86 was a complete surprise. It now hangs in the entrance hall. Nicky has bought me a series of items from a Castlecliff artist, whose cheerful quirky art, we both enjoy.
After tidying away breakfast and gift wrapping, we went up to the Sarjeant Art Gallery. It was the first time that I have been since the opening last year. Nicky has paid a number of short visits, usually when she had some spare time before collecting me from the wharf. It was good to be able to enjoy the architecture and see the art, though I have to admit that I preferred the architecture. Nicky enjoyed seeing the entries for the local Patillo Prize, which is the most recently curated exhibition. We know several of the artists who contributed… Whanganui is not large. We don’t have six degrees of separation. Possibly two.
We returned home for a bite of lunch. Nicky and Claire decorated my birthday cakes (one was nut free for one of our expected guests with a nut allergy), Claire did some NZLLA work, and I had a snooze (just getting some practice in). We got the house ready for the neighbours and quiz team members who arrived to consume tea, coffee and cakes.
Everyone, including me, seemed to enjoy the afternoon. We delivered some carrot cake to seven people who hadn’t been able to make it, due to a gastric bug which is going round, whilst on our way to the Spice Guru for dinner. John (quiz team) and Mike (Waimarie and quiz team) joined us and we had a great evening. The food was delectable. John could have talked to Claire all night apparently, but some of us needed our beauty sleep.
Before heading for bed we concluded the day by having a FaceTime chat with my sister Gill. It was a lovely day. Even the weather brought a little sun.
Unfortunately the food excess of Monday didn’t do Nicky any favours and her diverticulitis flared up again. We all headed into town to go to the bank to try and organise internet access to our account for Claire. Two people having access they can cope with, but adding a third was a challenge. Fortunately with having Enduring Power of Attorney’s, a willing bank officer to sort out the challenge and a helpful lawyer at Claire’s work, we think we have achieved what we wanted. After supermarket shopping and returning home for lunch, Claire had an amble to catch up on a podcast, while Nicky ironed and I snoozed (I needed more practice). The remainder of the afternoon was spent sorting out which of my old computer technology Claire was going to take home for Ryan. After Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy for dinner, we had a few hands of Mah Jong before bed.
Wednesday started with some rain and Nicky still in pain. We took Claire to Palmy airport where her flight was delayed by about 40 minutes. We spent the time in the café enjoying drinks and a date scone. After watching Claire’s plane take off, we drove home in the rain feeling deflated. We really enjoyed having her to stay. After a bite to eat, we completed the crossword in The NZ Listener and tidied the house. We quizzed in the evening coming 5th with 85.
Nicky changed to a liquid diet (soup, not Bailey’s) on Thursday to encourage the improvement in her diverticulitis. She was able to staff the Aramoho Library while I had an amble and potted round at home doing some cleaning.
I went to Mitre 10 on Friday morning to buy a new hinge for the shower room cabinet, new bedside lights, and airing racks to replace the ones munted by the wind when using them outside. Nicky went to the monthly Costume of the Month fashion talk at the Whanganui Museum (as good as ever). This month a 1920’s flapper dress in black silk and heavily beaded with jet. Afterwards she went to get her ‘flu and Covid vaccinations. Next on her agenda was Christ Church to pray at the Thy Kingdom Come prayer stations, which she had helped set up the previous weekend. She cooked us a pork casserole for dinner and was largely OK eating solid food again. We watched The Iron Giant in the evening. Not as good as the book.
I had a problem with the inverter (heat pump) on Friday evening and discovered it was the failing batteries in the remote control. I nipped down to the Four Square on Saturday morning to procure replacements, and then had to set about re-programming the timer for the inverter. It is the most difficult timer set-up I have ever encountered.
Nicky went to All Saints Church for the opening and blessing of the Living Waters East Whanganui medical practice, which has been built in the renovated church hall. This has been a joint venture by Whanganui Anglicans and Living Waters to provide a medical service on the other side of the river, and give the church a guaranteed future income. Over 200 people from our MP, Mayor, other dignitaries both East Whanganui and the NZ Health hierarchy downwards attended. Then on to visit Dale and Bob before driving to Christ Church for the five hour winter retreat. Afterwards, she helped pack down all eighteen prayer stations. Nicky arrived home just as I was finishing my dinner of scrambled eggs on toast and decided she would have the same. We enjoyed watching last week’s episode of the Sewing Bee before bed.
The weekend has seen a noticeable change in the weather as southerly winds swirling up from Antartica have plummeted the temperatures. Down south there has been snow and sub-zero temperatures overnight. Nicky went to church this morning while I was ambling. I then had a go at fitting the new hinges on the shower room cabinet. I quickly decided that I needed a second pair of hands so waited for Nicky’s return before completing it. The heavy mirrored door is now back on the cabinet, but doesn’t line up as well as I would like. We are starting a time period change jigsaw this afternoon, set in Waterloo Station in 1848 and 1948.
This evening Nicky is off to the cinema with Josie from her Home Group to see “Jane Austen Wrecked My Life”. This is part of the French Film Festival. Not quite my preferred choice of viewing.
Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments