477

 Yesterday was my 477th and final sailing on the Paddle Steamer Waimarie as paid crew. My third season ended with a chilly night sailing in clear weather. We had completed our last public sailing of the season in the morning with a goodly number of passengers. Just before they all disembarked, Sam the skipper made a brief and very complementary speech about my time on the boat which was followed by enthusiastic applause. 


Today, we started clearing the boat ready for winter maintenance and turned it around so that is facing upstream. I finally locked the boat up for the last time and we sat down outside the museum for a few beers accompanied by cold meat and salads. We chatted and watched the world and river go by, before I detected the presentation ambush. After lovely speeches by Jen the Manager and Stuart the Chairman of the Trust I was presented with a tray full of goodies: cheeses, preserves, snacks and a tin of spam. A bag of four bottles of wine came next, and finally a sultana cake made by Shaun the deckhands’ nan. It was touching and emotional.


I had already shed a tear walking off the wharf for the last time and doing my routine final visual check to make sure the boat and been cleared properly. Working on the paddle steamer has been an interesting experience. I have throughly enjoyed being on the river, learning new things and learning more about myself and of what I am capable. I am proud to be able to say that I have worked on the Waimarie, Whanganui’s iconic river experience.


Our week started with rain and Helen departing for her event in Parliament in Wellington. Nicky popped into the hospital for some blood tests after cleaning at church. She then raided Mitre 10 for equipment to set up our water feature. We finished the day with some hands of rummy and telly.


Tuesday was busy with laundry, shopping and Home Group. We went to see Ocean at the cinema in the morning. David Attenborough was as interesting and informative as ever. In the evening Valda, Dave and Lily came over for dinner. We served another dish from Mary Berry’s cook book (chicken tartiflette) and it went down very well. The pear and apple tart (this time with orange curd) was again very nice, and we really enjoyed the evening.


With Wednesday starting clear and developing into a lovely sunny day, I started washing our home. Nicky ironed and planted seedling’s from Mitre10’s bargain area before driving over to Gonville to cover Sue’s hospital visiting duty. At the quiz we came 5th with 82 points.


I finished washing the house on Thursday while Nicky staffed the Aramoho Library. We completed the NZ Listener crossword on her return and then went down to the Whanganui District Museum for a curators talk about one of their recent exhibitions. It was very interesting to hear about the planning and execution and gave us both a different perspective on the exhibition.


On Friday morning Nicky helped set up for the Fair Trade presentation evening at Christ Church and I sailed on the boat. We had six school groups touring the boat before we sailed, and then had significant problems docking because of a very large log which sat in front of the wharf. We made it in the end without damaging the Waimarie, but it was a challenge. Meanwhile, Nicky used the nearest laundrette to wash our summer quilt, then was weeding and planting renga renga lilies after hanging up laundry. Our winter quilt went onto our bed when Nicky changed our bed linen, and John from our quiz team called in for a cuppa. I took this in town while walking down to the wharf from Christ Church:



In between sailings on Saturday, we towed the miscreant log out to the middle of the river so that it didn’t interfere with our night-time parking. Nicky planted some more of her bargain acquisitions and prepared for another overnight visit from Helen, heading back home after her time lobbying in Parliament.


Nicky enjoyed church this morning before making a couple of pastoral care visits this afternoon. After the Waimarie work and food at the wharf, the majority of the crew enjoyed some time together and playing a couple of games of ten pin bowling. I have now officially finished my working life. Nicky gave me a lovely local artist’s designed mug to mark the event. My next adventure into retirement begins.


Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short List

Weeds and lurgy

Fair enough