Hairdryer Weather
For the last three days tropical storm Tam has been dominating our weather. In the north of the island this has meant heavy rain storms and flooding. For us, here in Whanganui, it has brought 27ºC highs, sunshine, mid-teen night-time temperatures, and wind that feels like standing in front of a giant hairdryer. It has almost been like summer all over again, just with added humidity.
I was scheduled to have Monday and Tuesday off work, but had to spend Monday morning moving three and a half tonnes of coal down to the wharf. Nicky cleaned at church and then did some laundry which we helped dry by having afternoon tea in the garden.
Unusually, we had boiled eggs for breakfast together on Tuesday morning. While I did the shopping Nicky swept the drive and paths before starting her sewing. I finished cutting the back garden grass which I had started on Monday, and then made Humble Pie for dinner - basically cauliflower cheese in a pie. In the evening Nicky went into church to set up eight prayer stations for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
Nicky continued with her sewing on Wednesday while I sailed, and we had a few hands of Mah Jong before dinner and quizzing. After a very poor start we finished 4th with 78 points.
Thursday started wet. Nicky dropped me at the wharf before going to see the dental hygienist and then staffing the Aramoho Library. We played rummy while having an afternoon pot of tea. In the evening Nicky went to church for the Maundy Thursday foot washing service.
Nicky dropped me at wharf again on Friday morning before going to church for the Good Friday service. Nicky was on the hospitality team and after the service served hot cross buns. With Dale she changed the altar hangings and helped to dismantle the Prayer Stations, and get the pews back in place. Afterwards Nicky went to see Sue, taking them both lunch, and had a few games of Scrabble before coming to collect me from the Waimarie Wharf.
On Saturday morning Nicky was not feeling great after getting up, but some Buccastem helped and she spent the day doing laundry and making a Simnel cake. I had my usual morning sailings yesterday and this morning. Mark, Krystyna and Brian (Mark’s dad) came over this afternoon to help us eat the cake, and regale us with their awesome Australian cruise.
We have watched the new series of Bergerac this week on the TVNS+ service and enjoyed it. I’m hoping series 2 will come along in the future. I haven’t taken any photos this week so here is one from the archive:
The Waimarie being brought out of the water for inspection in June 2021, and my current place of work (little did I know at the time).
Take care, Rick and Nicky

Comments