Into winter

 Our week began with Nicky feeling congested. She did the ironing before going off to church to clean. As the week progressed and the infection developed she felt more unwell, but was never really bad. I picked it up from her and as we communicated with other people we discovered many of them suffering in a similar way. We are also aware of another Covid wave going through the country so are mask-wearing and avoiding large groups. We didn’t quiz this week to reduce our chance of catching Covid (or anything else) with having a busy weekend ahead. We have both done RAT’s and been negative.


A very nice man came and had a look at our dishwasher and oven on Monday afternoon. The dishwasher was indeed leaking, and the bottom element on the oven had failed. He disconnected the element so that we could continue to use the oven in fan-assisted mode and we are waiting for the quote to affect both repairs. We knew when we were building the house that the contract supplied appliances were inexpensive so were curious how long they would last - 18 months past the 2 year warranty it turns out. However, he did make the interesting comment that when he has seen the same fault in other dishwashers of the same make and model, all the owners have commented that it’s the best dishwasher they have had for getting the dishes cleaned. This too has also been our experience. We also finally finished the jigsaw on Monday afternoon.


Following a colourful sunrise we had lots of rain on Wednesday. This picture taken while having my first cuppa of the day on the sofa:



Our day was spent the inside. I cleaned the cook top and shower floor and drain before scanning some photos. Nicky sewed. During a break in the rain in the afternoon we had a brief amble up Delhi Ave. 


Nicky was well enough to staff the Aramoho Library on Thursday. I had a couple of walks down Somme Parade to take some photos of the work that is being constructed and planted on the river bank. Exotics are being removed and replaced with natives to help hold the bank together:



While Nicky started on the laundry on Friday morning, I made a chocolate stout cake to take into work on my birthday. This didn’t exactly go to plan. When I took it out of the tin I discovered the middle hadn’t cooked. Back into the oven it went, but this still didn’t fully cook it. I ended up taking the centre out and cooking that part a third time. I decided to serve the cake as “bites” - pieces sandwiching Nutella. It still tased pretty good and was enjoyed.


We popped into town to do a bit of shopping and for me to try and help Katie in the church office with her computer. While we were out we called into see Dale and Bob in their new home. We were their first “official” visitors. They have much to do but are very pleased to have moved in.


Nicky did the rest of the laundry on Saturday while I sailed. She made a lovely Catalonian Chicken casserole, and then moved on to making sandwiches and muffins for afternoon tea. I assisted with this on my return. Kat, Israel and 16 month old Ari came over from Palmy. We hadn’t seen them since last year. They had been to Israel’s family in Mexico for Christmas. We had a really good time with them, and of course Ari is a really cutie and very mobile. By the time they departed we were both very tired.


Nicky took me to the wharf this morning before church for my final sailing of the season. She finished making a lovely lemon cake for my birthday after collecting me. I had missed the last sailing weekend of the season last year due to having Covid, so really wanted to be there this season. It has been a very different season with having a new manager and so many staffing problems.


I had a bit of a snooze when I got home before helping Nicky organise things for our 10 afternoon visitors. Our friends and neighbours were very generous with gifts for me, and all seemed to enjoy tea, coffee, cake and muffins. We sat down and enjoyed our chicken casserole after they all left, both again feeling very tired. It has been a very busy weekend, but also an enjoyable celebration of season ending and my birthday.


Take care, Rick and Nicky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter

One More Sleep

Ambling